Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Island of Burano, Venice #2

At about noon we jumped on another boat (a bigger one this time!) and headed out into the lagoon. Here is a map so you have an idea of what I am talking about. I couldn't find a great one on the web... This will do.
The largest island in the middle is St Marks, we are heading for the island marked in yellow.

I love being on the water and I sat outside on the very small deck.
Here we are enjoying the water and the sunshine.
Burano is much less tourist orientated with just a few street side stalls selling glass and lace. There are still canals and no cars, but there is washing hanging in the yards and people leave their doors open.
There were no goldolas here but of course everyone has their own boat to get where they need to go.
This olf church tower was leaning way more than the leaning tower of Pisa. The flowers on the balconies are gorgeous and the colours of the houses stunning. We had an enourmous, gorgeous seafood lunch, then time to wander around a little.
Each house is a different colour, some houses are TWO different colours. When children move back in to their parents house with their own childrenb they paint their part another colour, like this....
I was in love and suggested to Zadok we relocate... I even found a drydock for him to work in a dredger to fix......
!
I think Zadok was quite happt to come, see, enjoy, eat and leave though!
So that was Burano! We headed back to St Marks and then on ANOTHER boat through the Grand Canale back to the parking island. Then back to the hotel for dinner, a very welcome swim, dinner and bed, ready for Austria the next day.

Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

I didn't check that very well did I! Shame on me!

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see your sunglasses... they were very fine indeed.

3:27 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Hmm... thay were large. Now they live in sunglasser heaven...

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May they rest in peace

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home