Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Nice, a place that is very nice

It was about 8pm I think by the time we got to our hotel in Nice. We got changed and headed out for dinner. After dinner we watched France defeat Germany, the streets were packed all evening. I sat on the hotel balcony until after midnight and watched the locals driving round yelling and screaming, waving flags and risking life and limb hanging out of their cars, I saw 2 guys lying on top of the car roof… I guess they were quite pleased they had won!

The next day we had free time to swim in the Mediterranean. The beach in Nice is all rocks. It proved to be quite difficult to even get IN the water, the waves were crashing up the rocks and I had no shoes to wear… So I was treading gingerly then a big wave came and knocked me over and I rolled along the rocks… Quite amusing for the local I am sure. I can say I have left some of my flesh on the French Reviera... Waiting on a photo of the beach, I’ll add it in later.

In the afternoon we opted for and optional that drove out of Nice into the hills. We headed to St Paul’s Vance, a famous fortified village. These hills are absolutely stunning… It’s hard to show in pictures.
We spent about an hour waking around inside the town, the streets are tiny, only locals are allowed inside with their cars (this happens in many small towns or tourist hot spots) and you can only really drive round the outer road anyway.
Here is Zadok in a small street (path) and two thinking men....
After St Paul's we drove back down through Nice and headed along the coastline towards the village of Eze (airs). Did I say the coastline was stunning? Sheer drops to the Mediteraniean studded with huge villas, small vinyards and some olive groves.
We had dinner in a restaurant looking out over the view, Simone had arranged a retired accordian player to come and sing and play for us.
After dinner we headed up into the old village of Eze. Property here is coveted and often passed down through families, the house are tiny. It's crazy to think people realy live in these places, they look like something out of a movie set.
We headed back to the hotwl to sleep off the wine and prepare for the following day, heading into Italy! I hope all the pictures are loading ok, I cant seem to cut down on the number I post!
Blogging from: Singapore
Next Stop: Melbourne, YAY!

Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful pics :)

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are really good pics Wendy. And don't worry about cutting down on them...the more the better! You falling on the rocks reminded me of you falling at that snow world in Dubai! Haha

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home