Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Venice #1

Everyone asks which city or place was my favourite, and I think I would have to say that Venice takes the cake. Other places and things came very close though! We drove all the way from Rome and for me this was the worst bus day. It was very hot and we got stuck in a number of traffic jams, making a long day even longer. Unlike other long traveling days there weren't so many scenic stops either.
Anyway, enough grumbling! We woke in the morning (guess what, it was pretty early), and headed into Venice. You park on the first Island then have to take a water taxi to the Main Island, St Marks.
Here is Zadok near the Bridge of Sighs.
St Marks is stunning but very, very touristy. It was so hot this day and there were thousands of people everywhere. It was also so expensive, avoid doing anything unnecessary here (Karen paid 28 Euros, about $50 to have her photos bunnt to CD.... Crazy). We stayed on St Marks for a few hours before heading off to Burano, another Island. But you have to wait for that!
Here is the tower and St Marks Basilica, there is a huge square here that is full of pigeons (and tourists!)
Apparently pigeons carry 9 different diseases so I am sure I have them all, I haven't come down with Bird Flu yet so I guess that is a good thing.
Venice is famous for it's masks, the locals wore masks at their famous carnivale held every year. Once a year all the locals donned masks for a huge party and it was at this time the noble people were allowed to 'fratenise' with the workers and servants, as they apparently couldn't tell who was who....
We rode the gondolas throught the canals but this was not my favourite part of Venice, the canals in St Marks were crowded, a bit dirty and a bit run down looking. Still, you have to admit, to actually be floating round the canals of Venice in your own gondola is quite amazing!
Stay tuned for Burano... Another boat trip, another island, another huge meal, absolutely stunning.

Comments:

Blogger AM said...

How much did you pay for the gondola ride? I was there in June and I am curious to know.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

We bought a package (typical tour style) that included other bits and pieces too, including a tour of the Grand Canal and being serenaded on our Gondola, I have a feeling it was expensive. However another family did the gondola and by themselves and it was still expensive, I cant remember how much sorry!

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home